Reading Challenges For 2014Posted: November 14, 2013
At the beginning of 2013 I set a goal of reading 25 books this year with a Good Reads challenge. I’m currently in the process of reading books 18 and 19 towards my goal. Since there’s only about a month and a half left in the year, I think it’s safe to say I’m not going to make it to 25 books. I’m okay with that though. As far as I’m concerned, the reading challenge served its purpose by getting me to read more.
During the year I accumulated a lot more books, both print and e-book format, and I now have a ton of books that I need to read. To try to make a dent in the ever-growing list, I’ve decided to participate in a few reading challenges hosted by a couple of bloggers.
The first challenge is hosted by Bev of My Reader’s Block, and the challenge is called Mount TBR Reading Challenge. This challenge is strictly for books in your To Be Read pile that you’ve owned before January 1, 2014. You can read the rest of the rules and find out how to sign up for the challenge here. I’ve opted for the Pike’s Peak level, so I’m going to shoot for 12 books for this challenge.
The second challenge is hosted by Kim of Bookmark To Blog. She actually has two reading challenges going for 2014, the Monthly Keyword Challenge and the Monthly Motif Challenge. I’ve decided to try the Keyword challenge. She has a list of keywords for each month and the idea is to read one book a month whose title includes one of the keywords.
I went through my Need To Read list to see what books I already own that I could use for both challenges and this is what I came up with.
Monthly Keyword Challenge
- January: The Secrets of Mary Bowser – Lois Leveen (keyword secret)
- February: Until Dark – Mariah Stewart (keyword dark)
- March: Friends Forever – Danielle Steele (keyword forever)
- April: Falling Star – Diana Dempsey (keyword star)
- May: Lost In The Forest – Sue Miller (keyword lost)
- June: The Bronze Horseman – Paullina Simons (keyword color – bronze)
- July: The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane – Katherine Howe (keyword of)
- August: Never Let Me Go – Kazuo Ishiguro (keyword me)
- September: The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet’s Nest – Stieg Larsson (keyword who)
- October: Outer Banks – Anne Rivers Siddons (keyword out)
- November: The Last Bride of Ballymuir – Dorien Kelly (keyword last)
- December: The White Princess – Philippa Gregory (keyword white)
Mount TBR Reading Challenge
- The Secrets of Mary Bowser
- Until Dark
- Friends Forever
- Falling Star
- Lost In The Forest
- The Bronze Horseman
- The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane
- The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet’s Nest
- Outer Banks
- The Last Bride of Ballymuir
- Mansfield Park – Jane Austen
- No Time For Goodbye – Linwood Barclay
My overall reading goal for 2014 will be 25 books again. With these two challenges I’ll be able to knock out half of my goal and make a small dent in my Need To Read list.
Have you started thinking about your 2014 reading goals yet? If so, what are they? Do you plan on participating in any reading challenges to help you along with your goal?